Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Racing in New Orleans

 Going to New Orleans was a lot of fun.  I've been there a few times before and this trip I was able to participate in activities I've never done before like a cajun cooking class, fan boat ride and running that half marathon.

Here we are on the trolley heading to the French Quarters.  It was nice having Kaylee around, she became Soren's nanny.

The cooking class was great because we were able to learn how to cook cajun food (need a lot of lard) and then eat it all.  I'm pretty sure our group was the only one that went up for seconds every time.  What you don't see are the pralines, definitely my favorite New Orleans food.  Me and Todd have everything to make them, I just need Todd to clear some space in his schedule.  No way am I making them solo, I want to make sure they turn out right.

Side note:  Todd made bear claws last week and they were the best pastry I've ever had in my entire life.  I'll take some credit because I asked him to make them.



While we were in the cooking class with Dad and grandma, Kaylee and Soren were walking around French Quarters.  I have to admit I was a little nervous because it's a new place with new weirdos, but my sister is a baby whisperer and they had a lot of fun.

While with Kaylee, Miss Louisiana came by with a band and they let Soren play the drum.  Of course Soren knew exactly what to do!


After the cooking class we all met up and went to Cafe Beignet for the obvious beignets.

This family really loves beignets. 

 The famous heart picture.

    If any of you ever go to New Orleans take a fan boat tour!  Our guide was hilarious. I could only understand about 75% of what he said, he swore a lot and made fun of Kaylee.   It was a colder day so most of the gators were hiding in the mud, but we did get to see Big Al.







 Just in case you ever want to eat alligator the best part is the tail and cheeks.



             The day of the race!  There were 20,000 people running with us which made for some great people watching.  We started off really strong and then about mile 8 Kaylee started feeling sick.   Lets just say the previous day's food was not sitting well, but she kept going and we made it to the end.



 Also my dad ran the full marathon and did really well.  He's crazy.
               If you would like to check out the official photos from the run go to this website.  I would recommend you take a look they're very entertaining.  You can see Kaylee's condition worsen throughout the series of photos.

http://www.marathonfoto.com/index.cfm?action=site.login&RaceOID=26252012W6&LastName=CHRISTENSEN&BibNumber=11542&spMAILINGID=36518524&spUserID=MTg5Njg0NDkxNjcS1&spJOBID=132490229&spREPORTID=MTMyNDkwMjI5S0

   Here are some random photos from our trip.



         If anyone is thinking about a destination for summer vacation go to New Orleans it's one of my favorite cities!                          

No comments:

Post a Comment