Wednesday, May 16, 2012

New Orleans

It seems like every time I leave home for a trip it's to New Orleans.  I have no problem with that, it's one of my favorite cities and our short trip was all about food!  Todd's brother recently returned from his mission and Todd's best friend flew in from California so it was fun to hang out with everyone again.  Our first food stop was Johnny's Po Boys.  When thinking how to define what a Po Boy is all I could think of was, "Really big sandwich."   I actually looked up Po Boy and here's what the all knowing wikipedia says, "A po' boy (also po-boy, po boy, or poor boy) is a traditional submarine sandwich from Louisiana. It almost always consists of meat, usually roast beef, or fried seafood. The meat is served on baguette-like New Orleans French bread, known for its crisp crust yet fluffy center."  Now we're all experts.







Right after our Po Boys me and Todd had to take everyone to Cafe Du Monde for some beignets.

To let out stomachs recover we walked around French Quarters.  The street sign is all we could take of Bourbon Street.


 Last time we were in New Orleans someone recommended the desserts at the Palace Cafe.  The bread pudding with white chocolate sauce was soooo good.  We were able to sit on stools right in front of the kitchen and see all the food going out-the food looked expensive.  One day, probably when Todd graduates, I'll be able to eat there.  If you're not sure what Scott is pointing at it's his mustache.
Our waiter making Todd's banana's foster.  It's caramelized sugar and bananas flambed in rum.  I tried to capture the flames on camera but was too busy watching.
 We decided to venture out of the city on our way back and stopped at Oak Alley Plantation.  The plantation was established before the Civil War and the oak trees are over 300 years.  We read the history of the plantation on our drive down and apparently there are some ghosts hanging around but I couldn't find any.  I was hoping for an apparition in one of our pictures, so let me know if you see one.







 The guys' pose- formal, yet masculine.
 The girls' pose-lacking a little creativity.
My favorite event during everyone's visit was definitely eating at Uncle Lou's.  I couldn't stop eating the corn nuggets (deep fried creamed corn) and fried pickles.
 They even gave Soren a little chicken leg to eat.  His first taste of fried chicken.
 Soren really wants grandma Lisa to give back that chicken leg.

 This is not uncle Lou, but it gives you an idea of what uncle Lou looks like.  Just imagine an older man with a voice somewhat resembling Louis Armstrong.
 That's a lot of fried food and it's only one half of the table.  You know this place is legit because they serve Kool-Aid.

That pretty much sums up everyone's visit.  We also went to Corky's for some pulled pork and ribs and of course Velvet Cream for shakes.  On the way to the airport the boys stopped by a crawfish truck and did really good not getting any crawfish parts in the car, but it still smells fishy.  The only thing missing to really bring back the old times was some late night Mario Kart accompanied by Dave's heckling or some would say harassment.  All in all it was a fun week and we're glad everyone could come out and visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment